Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yes, I Can!

Sunday morning, while the shade was still on the back side of the building, I decided to build the cover over the gutter. This is when I discovered the boards were all different lengths. Thankfully, the 95cm pieces that fit in the groove underneath were all the same. Only the top boards had to be fit together like a jigsaw puzzle - not only because they were different lengths, but because none of the ends were cut straight.

The children showed up about 2 seconds into the project to “help”. I layed out all the support boards across the gutter and then began laying the top planks. That’s when the big kids showed up - nearly all the adults showed up at one time or other throughout the project to see what that crazy oburoni woman was up to.

The man downstairs, Maxwell (not to be confused with our Max), came right over and started re-arranging the boards. I had determined I needed to put the four boards closest to the same length in the center (of 3) section so the two end sections would be the ones with the oddball lengths sticking out – and they could be sawed off later. It took some time to get Maxwell to understand this, but once he did, he decided it was a good idea. So, I layed out those four boards and Maxwell held out his hand for the hammer.

I told him I could do it – and he said no he would do it for me. So, I told him I wanted to do it. Then he shrugged, very confused by that, and said OK and that after I finished he would take me to church. I’m not sure of the connection unless a woman who wants to swing a hammer needs salvation or to better understand her place or something. I politely said, “another time”.

All the kids took a turn with the hammer, although as you can see, they barely let each other have one swing before someone else was reaching for the hammer to have a turn.

We finished up in no time and a good time was had by all. I still have to trim the edges, but that requires an investment in a handsaw, and what will Maxwell think of that?
XO

No comments: