Monday, June 7, 2010

Ambulance with a stiff chaser

Don't panic when you read the title of this one, I didn't have to go to the hospital or anything. However, those hours I spent on the phone sorting out my MedEvac insurance before leaving home seemed much more prudent after my first day back in Ghana.

I kid you not, the very first morning I awoke in Ghana and stepped into the shower, there was a bit of shampoo or something on the floor of the shower and I slipped half way in and half way out and crashed to a very inelegant heap with both the shower curtain and rod tangled about my person. The shower room and the square frame around the shower stall/basin are all made of ceramic tile with lots of 90 degree angles and the room itself is only about 6' x 6', so it is some sort of miracle I didn't hit my head and fall unconscious only to be discovered in my full Lady Godiva wrapped in nothing but a Palm Tree and Beach Umbrella shower curtain..

As it was, I creased my shin to the bone - literally there was a right angle dent in the front of my shin - it was fascinating, and had two nerf football sized bruises where I landed. One I didn't know existed until I tried to sit in a desk chair later in the day. The crease in my shin didn't bruise at all, but over the next two days, my ankle began to swell and blood was pooling alarmingly in the bottom of my foot.

All of which made me try and think through the whole MedEvac thing. How exactly does that insurance work? I've never seen an ambulance actually taking someone TO the hospital. They are primarily used to transport dead bodies, when they are collected from home and taken to the mortuary or collected from the mortuary and taken to the cemetery, with a dramatic entourage as discussed in previous posts. The siren seems to be less for emergency expediency as for leading and announcing a funeral processional.

So, in the event of a truly life-threatening accident, I have little confidence that I would be stabilized sufficiently for anyone to successfully activate the MedEvac insurance policy. I can't imagine that by contacting them they actually have the ability to mobilize emergency medial personnel in Koforidua. I do suppose that if I had broken a leg or arm it would perhaps have come in handy, covering the cost of getting me to a reputable facility in Accra and setting the bone properly. I'm not sure I'd want that done here in Koforidua. A couple kids in the neighborhood have broken their arms lately (having a concrete courtyard as your playground can be treacherous) and they came home from the hospital with the equivalent of very thickly wound Ace bandages.
XO

Update - my mother reminds me that I should note that all is well now. All bruises gone.

No comments: