Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mr. President, Can We Talk?

In order to try and stay out of any potential conflict around the upcoming Presidential runoff (on Sunday, 28 December), I have been simply telling people that I already voted, in America. When people look at me quizzically, I tell them I voted for Barack Obama and immediately their eyes light up with recognition and delight.

When the neighborhood children joined me for coffee this morning (I sit on my top step), they tried to get me to do the party hand signs (I've mentioned the rolling fingers and "walk like an Egyptian" moves before, I think). Anyway, I gave them my usual spiel that I had already voted - for Barack Obama - and to my surprise they broke into song. Apparently, there is a song about Barack Obama on the radio. I haven't heard it, I guess because the religious radio station played by the stereo store downstairs doesn't play it, but the kids have heard it and it's repetitive enough to be catchy.


Of course, when I staged them to capture it on camera, they were much more reticent and never really got it together, but it was fun and you'll get the idea.

I didn't get an exact translation, but it was basically "let's talk". Mama, let's talk about Barack Obama. Papa let's talk about Barack Obama. I think there is a lot of underlying meaning about what "talking about Barack Obama" means to people here, but the response is fairly universal. They are amazed, excited, and inspired.

The world is watching - no pressure, Mr. Prez!
XO

No comments: