Friday, October 24, 2008

Let there be LED!

Very long power outage last night. It went out about 6:30 - just after dark, of course. We continued a little work in the dark for awhile, as it usually comes back on after an hour or so. Not this time. I used my headlamp to see my keyboard - who can tell you're a dork in the dark?


Finally, we gave up and proceeded to fix dinner with our cheap LED light. Fortunately, the gas stove works, so Whit did a boil in a bag Indian meal of Matar Paneer and made rice. We ate by LED.


Considering that 70% of the population is not connected to the electrical grid, this is what their lives are like every day. Here at the equator it gets light at 5:30 AM and dark at 6:30 PM, so there are a lot of dark hours to try and light enough for basic things like cooking, eating, homework, reading, playing cards, and whatever else might typically fill the time between dark and bed.


As for me, I took the LED light to bed at about 8:30 and read a book. When I finally went to sleep the power still had not come back on. However, sometime in the middle of the night my ceiling fan began to whir and I was rudely awakened by the overhead light, which I had failed to switch off before retiring. Oops.
XO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture
Nelly

ped crossing said...

The headlamp makes you look a bit like a disco queen. Sounds like everything is going fabulously. :)