Friday, November 9, 2012

One Giant Leap

 
When I left the last time, Precious was 7 and in KG-2 (there are two levels of kindergarten here).  Anyone following the blog at that time knows I had given her family a hard time for about a year before she was finally enrolled in nursery school at age 6.  After a few months in nursery school she moved into Kindergarten.  She progressed rapidly through KG-1, getting the highest marks in her class in Spoken English (I wonder why?).  She was in KG-1 for ½ a year and was promoted into KG-2 in the fall after she turned 7. 

That was two years ago, so I expected that when I returned, she would be at least in Class 2 and perhaps even Class 3.  Imagine my surprise to learn, upon my return, that at age 9 she is currently in Class 1 (First Grade) and is not yet reading.  However, in looking at her exercise books, I see she is getting 10/10 and 9/10 on every homework exercise.  I spoke to her mother who said her teacher in Class 1 (the first year) forgot to schedule her for the exam (an exam to move from first grade to second grade, really?) so she is still in Class 1.  Precious’ mother said the teacher had been sacked. 

So, I’m very happy I brought a LeapPad with me – although I loaded it with content for Grades 2-4, so it is a bit advanced in some areas.  I’m going to download some Grade 1 stuff to get her caught up.  Here are some super cute shots of Precious and Mamakos ‘reading’ the LeapPad version of “Brave” which lets them click on every word and repeat after the voice on the LeapPad says it.
XO 

P.S. The power was out at the time of the video, but the LeapFrog and Burro lamp were going strong on Burro rechargeable batteries!

No comments: