Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Power of Music

So, several weeks ago I went to the bookstore across the street (about 1/2 the size of an airport bookstore) and bought an ABC book and a 123 book. Precious has been "reading" them with me in the mornings. She likes E for Elephant best and now gets the difference between Lion and Tiger right. But after a few times through the ABC book, she began stopping at V for Violin and holding out her left arm and playing it with the finger of her right hand. So I started doing that, too, and trying to hum/buzz like a violin at the same time, which she really liked.

The other morning our handyman came by with the ladder to check our water situation on the roof, so Precious had to scoot down the stairs to get out of the way and happened to have the books in her hand. I haven't got them back yet. This morning, she asked for the books, forgetting that they were at her house, not mine. I asked her to bring them, but she couldn't - maybe the room was locked and no adult could come open it for her right then. Anyway, she started playing the violin on her arm and wanted me to "hum". So, I did. Then I had a brainstorm...

I brought out my iPod to let her hear what a real violin sounds like. But, oops, the only thing I downloaded before living home was Mahler, Symphony No. 9. OK, Mahler is a bit intense, but she listened to 6 movements before I had to take the iPod and put it away because we were drawing quite a "grabby" crowd. Then this evening she asked for it again, playing her arm to make sure I understood. Again, she listened for 15 minutes or so, from the 9th movement to the end of the symphony. At one point, she was playing the violin on her arm and swaying to the music with her eyes closed (Remember, she is 5) like a soloist who is lost in the music.

Wow, it really pointed out to me the impact of poverty. But, in this case I don't mean on the children, although that is very real. I mean on the rest of the world. I think it's easy to think of all the education and opportunities that people in poverty miss out on and our efforts to help *them*.

But this made me think of the world picture, and how we should also think of it as helping *ourselves*. What will the world miss out on if a prodigy or future virtuoso or the child with the potential to cure cancer or negotiate world peace doesn't get the opportunity to listen to Mozart or learn the violin or travel beyond the family farm or go to secondary school, much less medical school. How do those losses reduce the amount of soul-moving music in the world, or world health, or space travel? Progress in so many areas takes years and generations to come to fruition. If some percentage of the minds or talents that could be contributing to art, music, medicine, science, or literature are unable to do so, how much more slowly do we advance as a species? (This is true of American poverty as well)

On the other hand, is that just my Western view and bias that everyone should want to be able to do those things? Watching Precious "play" the violin - I'm not sure. I guess I'd at least like everyone to have the chance to want those things if they choose. And selfishly, I think my world would be richer if they did.
XO

1 comment:

Chrysalis Perspectives said...

Jan, you are so right (and profound). My nieces and nephew ALL now play the violin. Drew will make history having someting to do with animals or bugs-I'm sure. Rose is an incredible athelete and in the gifted program at her school. Lily is just pure pleasure to be around. They might not even be alive had it not been for the adoption and healthcare they have received.